Norman Brown, parent of a child with deafblindness, a professor at the Birmingham University and coordinator of the
programme to support parents of children with deafblindness, wrote the ”Parent's 10 Commandments for the Specialist”:
- 1. Assure me that I speak with someone who knows what it is all about!
2. Do not forget that I know what I talk about!
3. Do your best to find someone who has gone through what I am going through!
4. Be honest with me!
5. Truly help me, don't just give me advice!
6. Involve me in everything you do with my child!
7. Don't teach my child without teaching me!
8. Accept my weakness!
9. Accept your weakness!
10. Don't tell me you understand, show me that you understand!
Photo by Dragos Gontariu on Unsplash